Conquering our fears!

Though we push our kids to indulge in various hobbies, as moms our aspirations come last. I mean who has the time with all the work we do. But, 3 years back, I took up learning kathak. There was a lady within the layout where I stay who was offering classes. Though, I am not a good dancer, actually I have two left feet :). I thought, why not! The first time, I came home and showed my hubby the steps I had learnt, he laughed loudly. My movements were so robotic :).
But, I persisted and continued learning for about a year in which time, I even had 3 dance performances. Though they were amateurish, and I am not a great dancer even now, I actually loved learning kathak. More than dance, it was conquering my inhibitions and confidently overcoming my own ghosts. I quit after a year due to lack of time. But who knows, maybe someday, I will resume from where I left off :). And, definitely someday, learning Hindustani Classical music is on my agenda.
Here is the Youtube video of the first performance I gave. I am the one in white, and it is not very clear. Hope you enjoy :)!

The following two tabs change content below.
Hi! I am a professional Content Writer and co-owner of a Technology startup, Tranquil Software Solutions Pvt. Ltd. I am a Major in Chemistry and MBA in Marketing Management from NMIMS, Mumbai. After having worked in Brand Management, I took a sabbatical when I had my kids. I did dabble in Teaching and Medical Transcription in my quest to balance my work-life after my kids. And finally I stumbled upon writing. Having started this blog in 2008, I ventured into professional content writing. And I continue to grow and work with some amazing people in the field of writing. This blog still continues to be a strong reflection of my thinking, opinions, perceptions and wisdom. I am mother to two bratty boys and a Labrador and loving wife to a wonderful man. I go the extra mile for friends and love a good conversation. Uncomplicated, I tend to open up easily to those close to me. I have lived around the world including the US and Europe. I don't have it all figured out, but I am enjoying the journey that is life!

Latest posts by Rachna (see all)

Comments

comments

Comments: 48

1. BK Chowla, July 15, 2011 at 6:43 am Reply

Awesome is the word.
    The song itself is so good

2. :-) July 15, 2011 at 7:10 am Reply

where there is a will, there is a way….so goes the saying..and u definitely proved it……hope u continue to learn and achieve ur goals…..good going mam

3. dr.antony July 15, 2011 at 7:14 am Reply

That is a beautiful song.Hadnt heard for a long time.Dont know,it stirs you up somewhere deep inside.
    You have a greater days ahead ,Rachna! Keep on dancing.Make your life full of dance and music!

4. Rachna July 15, 2011 at 7:43 am Reply

@BKChowla Thank you! I love the song too — olden goldie.

:-) Thank you! I hope so too.

@dr. antony Thank you doc! You are so encouraging. I do wish to include music in a bigger way when I can find the time for continuous lessons.

5. ಅಶ್ವಿನಿ/ Ashwini July 15, 2011 at 7:45 am Reply

Rachna, I sing like a crow and dance like a monkey, but whenever opportunity comes I bag them up. Living life to the tunes is what i”ve been doing. You’re on the right track dear. Loved the dance and yes the music is so so so …. very goood. Will be visiting here regularly not to miss your hindustani vocals which will come up very soon. :)

6. ಅಶ್ವಿನಿ/ Ashwini July 15, 2011 at 7:45 am Reply

7. ಅಶ್ವಿನಿ/ Ashwini July 15, 2011 at 7:45 am Reply

8. ಅಶ್ವಿನಿ/ Ashwini July 15, 2011 at 7:45 am Reply

9. ಅಶ್ವಿನಿ/ Ashwini July 15, 2011 at 7:45 am Reply

10. ಅಶ್ವಿನಿ/ Ashwini July 15, 2011 at 7:45 am Reply

11. ಅಶ್ವಿನಿ/ Ashwini July 15, 2011 at 7:45 am Reply

12. ಅಶ್ವಿನಿ/ Ashwini July 15, 2011 at 7:45 am Reply

13. Sujatha Sathya July 15, 2011 at 7:55 am Reply

oh d many many bangles on ur arms!

i m currently reading Protima Bedi’s autobio ‘Timepass’. From a MODEL to an accomplished odissi dancer in just 3 years, what a journey it has been.

u can too! if that’s wht u really really WANT. i enjoyed ur dance, & truly applaud ur EFFORT & INTEREST. managing ur career, + TWO boys,+ 1 husband AND a passion like dance is no child’s play

proud of u. pls do go bak to it

14. Spicy Sweet July 15, 2011 at 8:56 am Reply

I cannot watch the video now. But, I will make it a point to watch the video some other time.

About the text in the post,
    I could really understand what must have been going through your mind. I want to learn dance too. I do not know when I will succeed in this endeavor.

Beautifully written. Wont forget to watch the video.

15. Rachna July 15, 2011 at 9:43 am Reply

@Ashwini I loved your description :). And, such wonderful encouragement. My blogger friends are so warm and encouraging. I hope someday I will learn music because I have a good voice. Let’s see when.

@Sujatha Thank you so much! Your wonderful words have really lifted my spirits. And, though dance is an art, I believe that if we persevere most of us can learn dance. Of course, the mastery level will vary. Song and dance are passions as you rightly pointed out. Thank you again for all your lovely compliments :).

@Spicy Sweet Thanks so much! Most of us want to do something. I wish each one to pursue what their heart desires once in a while away from other preoccupations and compulsions.

16. NRIGirl July 15, 2011 at 10:37 am Reply

That’s beautiful Rachna. Makes me want to dance too…

By the way, I like your white/blue outfit too.

17. INDIAN LILLIPUT July 15, 2011 at 1:10 pm Reply

Nice post Rachna…

As there was a saying called “Practice makes a man perfect”…though we try to learn many new arts or subjects, if we really interested we need to practice a lot in them to achieve the real success.But, in the video i have observed clearly the hard work and effort you have kept for performing.This shows your interest. I can say if you still continue, one day sure you will become good kathak dancer.

All the best

18. Insignia July 15, 2011 at 1:39 pm Reply

Wow! your dance – gracious. This post really gives me the push.

You should go for it; and you truly will inspire lazy bums as me. I want to learn painting, foreign language and pursue my music which I quit midway. But I just end up procrastinating. Truly, age, gender, nothing is a barrier. Its just us :)

19. Rachna July 15, 2011 at 1:58 pm Reply

@Indian Lilliput Exactly, to achieve mastery in a vocation is a function of skill, hard work and loads of perseverance. so yes, if one wishes to pursue a vocation from the point of view of being professional or successful, one has to dedicated numerous hours to it and it is yet not guaranteed. I just took this as a challenge to learn an art form and to show myself that I don’t have to be too awkward. That is what my point is — our fears are in our heads. We can learn new skills only if we try hard enough :) especially when it comes to pursuing our interests or passions.

@Insignia Perfectly said! We are the hindrance to our aspirations. Thank you for your wonderful compliment.

20. Rachna July 15, 2011 at 2:06 pm Reply

@Sujatha Oh yes, I love bangles. There was a time when I would wear 2 dozen glass bangles in each hand whenever I wore a sari :).

@NRIGirl Wow, I am sure you can do a good job at dancing. Thank you. Yes, this anarkali suit is quite nice, and the colors have not come out that good in the video due to the lack of lighting :).

21. Vijay Menon July 15, 2011 at 2:30 pm Reply

Don’t we call that determination? Bows at you :D

22. Jon July 15, 2011 at 6:50 pm Reply

doing some classical forms tht too at some mid age is very tough hats off!!

23. wise donkey July 15, 2011 at 7:48 pm Reply

spellbound…you have grace and humility:) and most importantly as you said its about self..
    way 2 go..hope very soon you will upload a musical video too..don’t put it off..

best wishes from bottom of my heart:)

24. Harman July 15, 2011 at 8:30 pm Reply

such a nice song..lovely dancing.
    you white dress is so pretty..
    you shld pursue this hobby..its good form of aerobic exercise too!

25. Destiny's child... July 15, 2011 at 9:44 pm Reply

You are an inspiration to Mothers who give up everything after marriage and kids. The dance is good too :)

26. bbsearchingself July 16, 2011 at 5:45 am Reply

Thats wonderful Rachna. Yes, it takes a lot of courage to learn something new after a gap. The main fear is ‘log kya kahenge’. I am glad that u did. Wonderful costume and I just love those bangles :) BTW how are your kannada classes going on?

27. rama July 16, 2011 at 9:07 am Reply

You dance quite well, and you must make time to pursue it. I love this song.

28. Rachna July 16, 2011 at 9:34 am Reply

@Vijay & Jon Thank you! You guys are so sweet.

@wise donkey So good to hear from you after so long. Well, I didn’t look very graceful when I began, and I have a long way to go still. But, I accept your compliments with a lot of happiness. I do hope so someday, other interests will find time too.

@Harman Thank you so much! Yes, dance is a good form of exercise, but for exercise I prefer my yoga and brisk walks. Dance once given up will drastically lower your metabolism levels.

@bbsearchingself Thanks! Actually, I saw that most women were so encouraging, specially making it a point to gush and praise me. I really believe that women understand how other women feel. Even my mil was quite proud of me :). Kannada classes got over, and the lady joined a school. I wish that the Kannada Parishad holds classes near my residence so that I could attain fluency :(.

@rama Thanks! Actually, we practiced like mad for this song so it was a little presentable :). but, thank you so much. I am puffed with pride and want to break out into a dance any moment :).

29. kavita July 17, 2011 at 5:51 am Reply

Wow ,wow and wow . So beautiful Rachna.I feel very deeply about all classical dance forms but never got any chance to learn .My daughter loves her dance classes ,i will show her this video once she is back from her violin class.Thanks for sharing the video Rachna,keep dancing :):)
    Have a super Sunday .Main to movie dekhne za rahin hun…tralllaaa

30. Rachna July 18, 2011 at 3:07 am Reply

@kavita So sweet, thank you! hope your movie was good — Harry Potter or ZNMD?

31. IRFANUDDIN July 18, 2011 at 9:10 am Reply

wow..that really shows ur determination….keep going..:))

Best wishes,
    irfan

32. Rachna July 19, 2011 at 2:37 am Reply

Thank you Irfan!

33. IndianTopBlogs July 19, 2011 at 10:00 am Reply

Hi
    Congratulations! The Directory of Best Indian Blogs is out and your nice blog figures in that. We thought, let’s announce that to you.
    Since all blogs do not have emails clearly mentioned, we have taken the liberty of telling you of this by making a comment on your latest blogpost. Hope, you don’t mind it.
    Happy blogging!

ITB team

34. R. Ramesh July 19, 2011 at 5:10 pm Reply

yes menon ji..rachna’s determination…awesome na..

35. Tomz July 19, 2011 at 6:57 pm Reply

Hi Rachna,

Applause..applause..

The steps are just perfect..urs r syncing with the music well..

and I’m a fan of kathak, hope I can also learn this wonderful dance form one day :)

36. Rachna July 20, 2011 at 5:00 am Reply

@Destiny’s child Thanks a bunch!

@IndianTopBlogs Thanks a lot.

@Ramesh Thank you!

@tomz Thanks! And, I am sure you can one day.

37. Alka Gurha July 20, 2011 at 12:34 pm Reply

Beautiful both the song and the dance. It seems you are having so much fun.
    Wow!

38. Basil July 20, 2011 at 4:33 pm Reply

*clap* *clap* you are being so modes. you are quite a decent dancer and its in time one improves. minutely watched the video. I always like to try different things. plan to learn salsa n samba. there is this friend who keeps calling me, but then am into adventure stuff n its a no to her every time. its a good form of exercise too. helps you to burn ur calories and keeps you fit, not that most home-makers aren’t. keep sharing interesting blogs.

regds

39. Basil July 20, 2011 at 4:36 pm Reply

This comment has been removed by the author.

40. Rachna July 21, 2011 at 4:39 am Reply

@Basil Thank you so much :). Compliments are always welcome.

41. A July 21, 2011 at 4:01 pm Reply

Great job Rachna.

When I start learning something new, I don’t tell people. I wait for sometime to perfect and then show. People who make fun annoy me to no end….

42. Rachna July 22, 2011 at 10:47 am Reply

@A well, that’s a good strategy. But, I did do some practice and reached a level before letting everyone know, and this performance was given in 2009.

43. Bikramjit July 22, 2011 at 12:41 pm Reply

you are good . well at least much much better then me I got TWO left feet :)

I always encourage anyone around me to do what htey want to do , I myself am a keen lerner of martial arts and been doing that for 4-5 years now Not many know about it but as you said it has helped me bringing out more confidence and made me a better human being tooo

lovely song :)

Well done to you and hope you get time again to pursue it again .. all the best

Bikram’s

44. Rachna July 22, 2011 at 3:39 pm Reply

Thank you, Bikram. Wow, martial arts. I wanted to learn karate too. I even tried one of these classes but they did not have enough number of adults enrolling for it :(.Hope so too.

45. raji August 1, 2011 at 6:41 am Reply

hey meanwhile u dance well …saw the video and liked it.

46. IGBG August 1, 2011 at 10:40 am Reply

Well done, Rachna! :-)
    Losing inhibitions in a dance is so uplifting!
    Yesterday I tried Improvisation/Interplay class in a park…it was hilarious, but so ‘cleansing’ too!

47. Rachna August 1, 2011 at 11:36 am Reply

@raji Thanks so much.

@Iliana Indeed, dancing and music are so uplifting :). Your class sounds like so much fun!

48. Jenny September 13, 2012 at 11:58 am Reply

Ahh I had learnt Kathak for a year but then gave up because I liked bharatnatyam more(since I learnt that first). I love the graceful hand movements in kathak though. Classical music is also great. The important point is to have a passion. And I so agree about women putting thier prioirties last. people should really not do that.