Every single time that I was pregnant, there was a fear that gripped me. I wished that my child be born healthy and that he/she gets to lead a beautiful, fulfilling life. I believe every parent becomes more fearful once they have kids. Every sniffle, every little illness has us worrying excessively and doing our best to make them alright. Yet unfortunately, there are children in the world who suffer from malnutrition and lack of clean drinking water, food, sanitation and education.
Is it fair to bring children in this world wrought with wars, deficiencies and trouble? Is decent living even sustainable anymore for future generations? Yes, it is! But, it requires us to be conscious and responsible citizens of the Earth.
Yesterday, 20th November, 2013, was Universal Children’s Day! And Unilever celebrated the day by launching Project Sunlight! As the name suggests, Project Sunlight endeavors to ensure sustainable living for all so that our children, those fragile precious babies that we bring into the world, can live happy and fulfilling lives.
Project Sunlight on its launch is donating to transform the lives of 2 million children around the world. They will reach out to provide nutritional meals for malnourished children through the World Food Program, clean drinking water will be provided through Save the Children and access to sanitation through UNICEF.
Now it is our turn. Here are the things that you can do to contribute to the cause of providing a better planet for our children:
Watch this video and understand how we need to make conscious efforts to provide a space for all on this beautiful Earth of ours. The video is inspirational and positive and will touch your hearts and minds. It has voiceover by Shahrukh Khan, popular Indian actor. Join the growing movement of Project Sunlight and pledge yourself to the cause of sustainable living with dignity for all.
Do your own bit in making the planet greener and a happy place for all:
- Join communities in your cities and villages that support growing organic food. Plant trees in your concrete jungles. Actively involve your children in supporting the environment.
- Be conservative in your consumption of electricity. In India, we can take advantage of ample sunshine to use solar power and heaters.
- Reduce your wastage of food. Eat local food that does not leave a carbon footprint due to transport from faraway places.
- Conserve water: Clean water is a precious resource. Water tables in our cities and villages are shrinking. Endeavor for green methods like rain water harvesting in both your homes and communities. Utilize every precious drop of water so there is enough for all.
- Walk or bicycle to places near your home. Carpool and take public transport to cut down on burning fuel. Make our air clean for all.
- Encourage your girl children to explore their full potential.
Most importantly, spread awareness about the cause. Actively encourage your children to live responsibly. Blog about it, tweet or talk about it in your formal and informal discussions. The task is a huge responsibility.
But together we can do it. For the sake of all our children, we must!
This post has been sponsored by Unilever but all thoughts are my own.
Do you worry about SEO optimizing the content you write? Now you need not. Get my SEO Cheat Sheet to write kickass Blog Posts that rank well.
Get it for FREE here