To people like me blogging is a passion, a hobby, love of sharing and interacting and sharpening both my creative and writing skills. To an outsider, it seems like fun, silly, even glamorous with bloggers getting goodies and winning prizes. Very often the hard work behind the blog is not visible and recognized. The other day, a lady (not a blogger) when congratulating me for winning a prize said that she was thinking of becoming a blogger too, but she wasn’t as greedy. Wow, that was something really kind to say. And we think that it is only people on social media who have thrown their basic courtesies to the dogs!
Yes, of course, blogging is child’s play, and anyone can write well. It’s a given; I assure you!
Now that we have established the basic grounds for a trivial and silly activity like blogging, let us talk about the plight of the poor family that puts up with the blogger. You must know that behind every successful blogger is a suffering family, as the points below amply demonstrate:
- A blogger’s partner is always at the risk of having their opinions, memories and moments laid threadbare for the public to see. You irk your blogger partner and who knows how you may figure in their next post or in the topic of discussion on their blogging forums. Nothing you say, do or experience is ever safe again. The same applies to all those who cross ways with the blogger. Since all bloggers are writing books, you can be pretty clear where the inspiration for storyline and characters are coming from. Do you really want to be that horribly evil person in their next novel? The choice is yours. Remember to be at your best behavior with a blogger.
- A blogger’s children are sometimes not even party to the fact that their childhood shenanigans, mischief and embarrassing tales are out there for all to read, chuckle and comment about. Poor kids, they are unaware that they strike the fancies of their blogging mommies and daddies very regularly. By the time they are old enough to protest, the damage has been pretty much done.
- Don’t forget the blogger’s pet! They have to chip in too with pictures, videos and their tales. With a blogger, every person and event can and will be turned into a blog post.
- A blogger’s family has to be a willing displayer of their chhaddhi baniyan (dirty linen) for the next hot blogging tag or contest. Yeh prize ka maamla hai!
- A blogger’s family finds that all vacations have one most important agenda – photographs! Hence, the poor guys pose or not pose patiently while the blogger goes click, click, click in preparation of some future post the idea of which hasn’t even been conceived this far. But why miss an opportunity, I ask? After all, what are vacations for?
- A blogger’s family must be willing to meet with other blogger friends. Don’t forget the ubiquitous pictures again! Duh, what is a meet without pictures? What the hell will we put up on FB? Remember it is important to be hot and happening on social media to be a ‘popular’ blogger.
- A blogger’s partner must brush up their photography skills for all those occasions when they need to capture their blogger muse in the best of poses. Refer to the point above about being ‘hot and happening on social media.’ DPs have to be regularly updated, you see!
- A blogger’s family has to diligently read through everything a blogger writes. They may not like or appreciate the genre but who cares! A good family stands behind each other, right? Yes, they must also be mindful of the way they express feedback unless it is positive, of course. Language and tone is very important to a blogger!
- A blogger’s family has to get used to the blogger’s excessive use of words like Awesome, Fabulous, Nice one and so on since that is the language they converse in on blogs. Not to forget the absolutely baffling overdose of Muahs, Love and likes that the blogger starts using in their conversation and in their written word as well. Emoticons become oxygen!
When you have paparazzi at home, why look outside? So you see, it is such a struggle living with a blogger. And, people you need to recognize the long-suffering family and their sacrifices that goes a long way towards making a successful blogger.
Finally, remember what happens to those who don’t suck up to the moody blogger in the comments :-)!
Do you worry about SEO optimizing the content you write? Now you need not. Get my SEO Cheat Sheet to write kickass Blog Posts that rank well.
Get it for FREE here